Brigadier General Joseph Nunoo Mensah, former National secuirty advisor,Former chief of Defence staff of the Ghana Armed Forces and a member of the Provisional National Defence Council has called on the security Agencies in Ghana to be up on their job to curb or reduce the recent insecurity in the country.
In a telephone interview with Akua Nyarko Abronoma on Dinpa 91.3 “Anopa Bosuo” show in reaction to the recent killings and kidnappings in the country, Brigadier General Nunoo Mensah expressed regret at the rate at which this crimes are happening.
According to him, the kidnaping thing is new in Ghana and it is as a result of unemployment,indiscipline,mismanagement of the nations’s resources, etc, etc.
Brigadier General Nunoo Mensah has called on the leadership of the country as well as the security Agencies to up their game to ensure orderliness in the country.
Brigadier and Mr. David Agbei, the Executive Director for the Ghana Insitute for Governance and security (GIGS) who were on the same show unanimously, condemned the rate of insecurity in Ghana, calling on the leadership to ensure offenders of the law are punished severly to serve ass deterrent to others.
Although the police in the western region are said to be protecting the human right of Samuel Wills, a suspect in the Takoradi kidnapping case and therefore can not torture him, Hon. Collins Owusu Amakwaa-MP for Manhyia North and deputy vice chair for the Defence and Interior committee of parliament,advised the police to ignore that,” torture him” so they can get the necessary information that can lead to the retrieve of the kidnapped girls.
He stressed that this government will in no way “glorify” kidnapping and other crimes.
Another girl has gone missing since last week in Takoradi in the Western Region.
The girl, Maame Darkoa Anomah, 25, is said to have been kidnapped at West Tanokrom.
The kidnapper has allegedly warned the family not to report the case to the Police.
A relative of the alleged victim told Empire FM’s Emmanuel Ohene Gyan Thursday evening that: “ She has been away since last week. We have not reported to the Police because we believed she would return. Her father felt that she would return. After we received a message from someone through her phone that she was being held by kidnappers, we thought she was just conspiring with someone to play games on us, but she still hasn’t returned.
“ We are getting worried because she is not that type. She is not the type that sleeps outside or stays out for long so we are getting worried now. We will now take steps to report the matter to the police”.
It is unclear if the new case is connected to the same ring which is holding some three other girls from the same area for some months now.
The development comes as the police has increased its personnel in the national search of the victims of the kidnappings, particularly in the Western region.
The Police have also noted they have notified INTERPOL to help them with the search of the girls.
The first kidnapping case is reported to have taken place in August 2018.
Meanwhile, the police have allayed fears of the public in the wake of “recent violent crimes” in the country.
The law enforcement agency is urging calm as it marshals “all resources” towards closing in on suspects.
About six high profile deaths have been recorded in the past three months with the recent being the killing of an undercover journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale of the Tiger Eye PI team.
Three girls have also been kidnapped in the oil-rich Western region sparking public uproar over safety issues in the country.
Assuring the general public, the Police Service said in a statement that it is putting its best foot forward to unravel the mystery surrounding most of the crimes.
“Officers from specialized units of the Criminal Investigation Department including the Counter-terrorism and Special Weapon and Tactics Units are part of the team of investigators handling these cases,” the police statement said.